Monday 6 October 2014

Olympia 2014 Review: The MUSCLE

The other day, when we profiled all five female winners at the 2014 Olympia, I may have had you spitting out your breakfast cereal by saying I was impressed, yes, impressed by the muscularity of some of the fitness and figure competitors.

MUSCLE IN FITNESS
imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com
Regiane Da Silva, Whitney Jones, Fiona Harris & Amanda Hatfield (previously Amanda Swallow - remember her?)

My surprise that there was so much muscle in the, let's say, 'smaller' divisions - and note I'm not talking about the bikini girls here - has nothing to do with these women suddenly getting big, and everything to do with my own ignorance. At any other show I go straight to the female bodybuilders, spend some time with the physique women, and pay little or no attention at all to the fitness and figure contests. But this year's Olympia was different. I've pretty much watched all there is to watch of the contests from bikini to bodybuilding (the women, that is - I don't think I'm about to break the habit of a lifetime and start checking out the men!). I stand by my first impression. I haven't changed my mind. There sure is some muscle in fitness and figure.

MUSCLE IN FIGURE
imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com
Krista Dunn, Jessica Graham, Zsuzsanna Toldi & Candice Lewis

The shame is that they don't get to really FLEX it!

Of course the physique competitors do get to flex it, and they clearly love every minute of it. And what a thrill it is to see them in all their lean muscle glory!

MUSCLE IN PHYSIQUE
imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com
Jillian Reville, Karin Hobbs, Jacklyn Abrams & Sabrina Taylor

But having said all that, the difference in muscularity between the three divisions pales in comparison to the difference in muscularity between the physique division and the pure, unadulterated BEEF of the freaky Olympian female bodybuilders.

If watching the physique competitors flex their way through prejudging, comparisons and their delicious funky routines is a thrill, when the BIG girls come out and start hitting their compulsory poses, it's pure female muscle lovin' ECSTASY.

THE MUSCLE

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

One by one these magnificent women emerge and take their place front and centre. Just watching them walk makes me swoon as their thigh muscles ripple with every step they take. I'm instantly transfixed, instantly intoxicated. And then they start to flex...

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

I've said before that if you accept the definition of sthenolagnia as "sexual arousal from the display of strength or muscles", then the keywords for this particular sthenolagniac are display and muscles. As a result, and much as I've already enjoyed the walk-on, it's unsurprising that the moment of greatest excitement for me is when the first compulsory pose is hit - or rather, the moment just before, the moment of preparation for that first pose, the moment when my anticipation of that pose reaches its climax, and I can hear my heart pounding inside my chest. The days and weeks counting down to the Olympia have led to this. The display of the muscle is about to begin.

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

Some prefer the smoother, "off season" look, but from the very beginning of my female muscle slavedom I have always derived the most excitement, the greatest ecstasy, from the "contest-ready" look. Ripped, shredded, cut - whatever you want to call it - wins every time as far as I'm concerned. Every pulsating vein, every striation, every ripple of every muscle is there, fully pumped and visible in perfect detail.

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

And having explored the on stage experience of the female bodybuilder earlier in the year (see The Agony & the Ecstasy), FMS felt that this year we had a new level of appreciation of how the Olympian women were feeling on that stage in Las Vegas. I felt I could (unless I'm kidding myself) sense the experience they were having of being in their bodies, of being at their absolute peak - what Tanya Bunsell calls "the latent image in her mind's eye". This year it was more than pride that I saw in their faces, this year, as I watched them finally getting to display their work - their bodies, their muscles - the result of the agony of their contest preparation, I sensed their ecstasy.

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

For the first time in a while, highlights of the Olympia were (or are going to be) broadcast on nationwide TV in the USA on NBC. Now I doubt the persons responsible for the highlights show looked too hard for any narrative, any stories within the female bodybuilding division with which to grab their mainstream audience's attention, but if they had wanted narrative, the stories were, most definitely, there.

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

Here was Yaxeni in her 17th (yes, SEVENTEENTH!) consecutive Ms Olympia. Here, for the first time, were more competitors from outside the USA than from within - and the majority of those, like Yaxeni, from South America. Here was Alana, making her Olympia debut and breaking into the top 5, and here was Christine, another first timer - two women whose journeys to the Vegas stage couldn't have been more different. Here was Alina, the (STILL) uncrowned Queen, adored by the female muscle fans, adored by the female bodybuilders themselves - the current paragon of the female bodybuilder. And here was Iris, champ for the ninth year in a row and the tenth time in all...

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

I've been told that the majority of the audience at the Olympia is male and that they attend to see the men. But I would bet that all around the world there are other men, like me, like you perhaps, who, for financial reasons or reasons that are more personal (the very reasons that prevented me from watching the Olympia live, for example), have not been to and probably never will go to the Olympia or any other bodybuilding show, but who nevertheless make up an enormous audience for these magnificent women and their show, the greatest female MUSCLE show on the planet.

13th SIMONE OLIVEIRA (Bra), 12th LISA GIESBRECHT (Can)
imagebam.com imagebam.com

11th CHRISTINE ENVALL (Aus), 10th MARGIE MARTIN (USA)
imagebam.com imagebam.com

9th RITA BELLO (Arg), 8th JENNIFER SEDIA (USA)
imagebam.com imagebam.com

7th SHEILA BLECK (USA), 6th ANNE FREITAS (Bra)
imagebam.com imagebam.com

5th YAXENI ORIQUEN (Ven)
imagebam.com imagebam.com

4th ALANA SHIPP (USA)
imagebam.com imagebam.com

3rd DEBI LASZEWSKI (USA)
imagebam.com imagebam.com

2nd ALINA POPA (Rom)
imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

Ms OLYMPIA IRIS KYLE (USA)
imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

Enjoy!

And you can watch these magnificent women hit their first round poses here.

No comments:

Post a Comment