Thursday 20 June 2013

Ms International: Voices of Protest

I find it a complete tragedy that this can even be allowed to happen. Bodybuilding has been a huge part of my life and I would not be the person I am today had it not been for such an awesome sport. The dedication, the work, the blood, the sweat, the tears, all taught me about discipline, which can be taken forward in all aspects of your life. Bodybuilding to me, is and always should be exactly what it says on the box, BODYBUILDING!! To take this away from women is a disgrace and an insult to all those women all over the world, who have trained for years to achieve their absolutely awesome physiques.
Marion Nobile (Bulgaria)

I've been plugging the petition in support of female bodybuilding all week. At the time of writing, over 800 female bodybuilders and supporters of the sport have signed it. If you haven't already done so and care about the way female bodybuilding and the female bodybuilder is being degraded, please do. And if I can't inspire you to sign it, maybe others who have can...

Wendy Watson
imagebam.com imagebam.com
I am a proud female body builder and cannot believe we are not considered athletes like the men in this sport. This is bigger than bodybuilding though. Its about equality in sports. We have been told we aren't popular because we look to manly. They want sexier females like bikini. I didn't realize the sport was for sale and we have become just like the WWE... fake and entertainment for men who like T&A in between their big men. We have fans, we are athletes and we deserve respect as athletes of the same calibre. If you’re rewarding men for only developing half their body in physique, you have this sport all twisted. You not only have disrespected the real female athletes but also have done a disservice to the sport of bodybuilding. It’s too bad society’s stereotypes of what we as women should look like seem to have influenced this sport. Being determined, disciplined and dedicated shouldn't be considered unappealing. Our fans don't think that and its a shame those in our own sport do. I for one will never attend another Arnold.

I love women's bodybuilding. They have the right to do what they love. I watch more female then male bodybuilding and I've been a fan since 8 years old on ESPN. Trends will come and go but please keep the ladies. The men all look the same and have no personality. To save bodybuilding we need our iron women.
Damon Gardiner (USA)

I am good friends with a woman who last year competed in a couple of contests and she was coached by an IFBB professional female bodybuilder (and one of the very top female bodybuilders in the world). I'd hate to see their opportunities to compete be limited. More so when it comes to a contest run by and named after Arnold Schwarzenegger and centred around bodybuilding. The Arnold Sports Festival has room for 45 sports and events but for some unknown reason it can't seem to fit in one of the two main sports (men's and women's bodybuilding) at the event. When it comes to the women's side of the sport is the IFBB the International Federation of Bodybuilding or is it the International Federation of Physique, Figure, Fitness and Bikini?
Greg Nicolson (Australia)

Samantha Bourassa
imagebam.com imagebam.com
I have been a competitive female bodybuilder for 5 years. It's a part of who I am & my identity as an athlete & as a woman. I would be very sad to never be able to go on stage & do bodybuilding poses again!

It's bodybuilding at its purest form and is no different than male bodybuilding. Restricting women from reaching their true bodybuilding potential is frankly sexist and regressive. The sport is built on pushing limits, breaking barriers, and building the perfect body. Social restrictions don't belong in the sport. Telling a bodybuilder to stop building muscle and stop lifting heavy in the gym is like telling a track star to slow down to win the race.
Sean Clay (USA)

Branka Njegovec
imagebam.com imagebam.com
I compete... and wanted [the] A[rnold] C[lassic] to be my first pro show next year.

Female bodybuilding has already been insulted enough by the vast difference in prize money and sponsorship, removing it entirely to put in another mens category is completely sexist and repressive. FBBs have plenty of fans and women who are aspiring to be competitive bodybuilders so the reasoning "keeping with demands of our fans" is utter BS, the fans want the Ms. International women’s bodybuilding competition to stay alive and stronger than ever!
Deidre Gerber (South Africa)

I'm a writer and photographer who specializes in FBB. To drop them from competition is a terrible example of gender discrimination.
Bill Dobbins (USA)

Johanna Dejager
imagebam.com imagebam.com
I spent almost 20 years of my life dedicated to bodybuilding and finally got my pro status. I believe in and support women's bodybuilding and so do many others. Being different is good...

The category of female bodybuilding is still the category with the highest number of fans. Perhaps the federations don't read the forums and don't make polls to understand... I can say with great confidence that the federations are committing a serious error of judgement to eliminate or drastically reduce this category. I hope that this petition will be taken into consideration by federations, otherwise I hope the bodybuilding athletes will come together to create a new federation.
Roberto Bianchi (Italy)

Judy Gaillard
imagebam.com imagebam.com
I have been a competitive female bodybuilder for almost 20 years. FBB has laid the foundation for female athletes today. Its such a shame to just dismiss this part division of the sport.

I think this is one of the most important petitions I've signed. I know many female bodybuilders, and they are among the most dedicated and hard-working people that I've ever had the pleasure to encounter. I support them 100%.
Jerry Brainum (USA)

Female bodybuilding is and has Ben a cornerstone of bodybuilding and from the days of Rachael, Cory and Bev along with Tanya and Laura to Iris we have grown to love these female super stars and feel that it would be a grave injustice to omit female bodybuilding from the shows. This needs to be reconsidered and put forth for voting not just made as an arbitrary decision. We male bodybuilders amateur and pro enjoy our female counterparts and would hate to see anything chsnged
Frank Ferry (USA)

Helle Nielsen
imagebam.com imagebam.com
Bodybuilding is a great sport! I'm a female pro bodybuilder and I would like to have the opportunity to show off the physique/statue I've built through 20 years. I know that I motivate and inspire others, please let me and my colleagues continue to do so. I know female bodybuilding has many fans. There are many categories, who can say which one is more important? We all have something to add. Yes, we do not look mainstream, but that's not the idea of bodybuilding. Bodybuilding is extreme, but it is the extreme that be-wows and be-dazzles and leaves the audience with jaws dropping! Let's keep the "wild" side of the sport! :)

The only reason I go to any bodybuilding show is because of the female bodybuilders. I'm a huge fan of female bodybuilders. They inspired me to work out that much harder. I try to improve on my body each year that I get to see them. Without the female bodybuilders, I wouldn't be interested in bodybuilding at all.
De Wayne Shirley (USA)

Angela Dupuis August 2008 v August 2012
imagebam.com imagebam.com
I found the strength within myself to carve a path free of anti-depressants, abusive men, and pent up anger. I have competed twice now as a bodybuilder and will go to Nationals this year. The trickle down effect will eventually exclude a woman from the possibility of knowing just how strong she can be. Not just in the gym, mentally. This is the most difficult sport in this industry mentally-wise. Living at 5-6% bodyfat, while working, raising kids, and contributing to society is a task that demands you dig deeper within yourself than you ever thought you could. I respect the women who grace the Arnold stage, and without them, my life would have been radically different. Women should have the choice to walk that path. Do not deny us at lower levels the opportunity to be more than we ever thought we could be.

The Ms International is the 2nd most prestigious FBB show behind the Ms Olympia. Many female athletes have sacrificed to become pro IFBB bodybuilders and if the Ms International is allowed to die, it will be not only the first nail in the coffin of women's bodybuilding, but the careers of many tremendous women athletes as well.
Charles Franco (USA)

The women BBers work as hard as the men, are as dedicated as the men, and are as deserving as the men of both recognition and opportunities to compete/demonstrate their hard/beautiful work. They are also capable of and have the right to make the decision about whether to compete as a BB or in some other category without that decision being forced upon them by some officious bastard bureaucrat.
Jeff Maurer (USA)

Emery Miller
imagebam.com imagebam.com
It's all I have and have given the last 16 years of my life for.


Inspired yet?

Sign the petition, or if you have done so already, why not really have some fun and make a nuisance of yourself by contacting the IFBB directly?

International Federation of Bodybuilding & Fitness (IFBB)
2875 Bates Road, Montreal, Quebec, Canada H3S 1B7
tel: (from the UK) 001-514-731-3783
fax: (from the UK) 001-514-731-7082
e-mail: info@ifbb.com

1 comment:

  1. 800?
    800 have signed it?
    OMG, thats Close to nothing.... nobody will be impressed by this Little number...

    Would have thought it might be 8000+...

    ReplyDelete