Friday 26 July 2013

FBBUK: Rebecca Andrews

The second interview of the week with 'the most important women in UK female bodybuilding who aren't competitive bodybuilders' is all about photographer Rebecca Andrews.

Rebecca gained her first degree in Graphic Design and Visual Communication before going on to take another BA in Photography and Media Arts, and then a Master's in Artist's Film, Video and Photography. Her commercial work encompasses fashion, advertising and editorials for clients as varied (and big!) as Mercedes UK, Bompas and Parr, AMI, and London Fashion Week. She is also a renowned sports photographer and director, working with, among others, the British Wheelchair Rugby Team, and she has recently been appointed the official photographer for the English Weightlifting Team at next year's Commonwealth Games in Glasgow.

Not exclusively a female muscle photographer then, but in the opinion of this blog, there's certainly no one in Britain (in fact there are only a handful worldwide) who can compare with her talent for lighting and shooting the muscular female form.


As well as conducting  the interview via email, I was lucky enough to have the chance to speak to Rebecca personally, and that turned out to be quite an experience. Her passion for the sport of female bodybuilding is unmistakable, there in the enthusiasm and ideas that she breathlessly communicates. I don't want to put any pressure on Rebecca, but by the end of our conversation I was convinced I'd not only spoken to the future saviour of British female bodybuilding, but female bodybuilding full stop. And to be honest, I haven't changed my mind about that since then. 

[Photos of Rene Campbell are courtesy of Rebecca Andrews]

FMS: What came first, the photography or the bodybuilding?

RA: Bodybuilding came first, I’ve been training since I was 15 years old and got into it seriously at 17 and I’ve been training ever since. I fell in love with Arnie when I saw the film Commando when I was about 8. I was just in awe of him. I just loved muscle, and when I realised women can look muscular I got heavily into my training.

I used to be a British wrestler for a wrestling academy as I wanted to be a WWE wrestler ha-ha! And of course being different as a woman and individual, I always loved being strong and tested my strength on silly things such as trying to lift heavy weights at a young age, or holding my breath underwater for a period of time, or winning 100m races as fast as I could.

I actually have always had an artistic background from my dad's side of the family - artists, opera singers, actors. I’ve always been artistic in illustrations, and originally studied my degree in Graphic Design, visual communications, which is where I picked up the camera at 20 years old and thought this is what I want to do.

I realised this was my calling because it was the BEST tool for visual expression and to create my own world and fantasy artwork of statuesque people, romanticism, heroism and, most importantly, an iconic narrative. So after my first degree I studied my second degree in Photography, completed that then finished my Master’s in Artist Film, Video and Photography. My entire thesis was based on female bodybuilding being a concept of a future woman.

My whole life looking back has always been about visual expression, training in the gym, muscular physiques, entertainment.


imagebam.com


FMS: What was your first bodybuilding shoot?

RA: My first bodybuilding shoot was in 2007, and I photographed a series of derelict architecture with bodybuilders in those locations, as I also loved at the time derelict buildings - but that’s too popular now - though I still have that guilty pleasure. I have been in the sport coming up 11 years so I’ve made a great network of people, good friends, and there is trust when people know me and would like to work with me because I like to think that what I shoot is organic.

FMS: Who are your favourite photographers?

RA: Oh wow, so many. Helmut Newton, Miles Aldridge, Guy Bourdin, Mert and Marcus, Per Bernal, Eve Arnold as she photographed beautiful shots of Marilyn Monroe. I used to like David Lachapelle, Robert Mapplethorpe, Richard Avedon fashion, Brian Moss, George Kontaxis, Gary Winogrand, Ansel Adams, Andreas Gursky, Gregory Crewdson, Mario Testino. Literally there are so many!

FMS: And your favourite female bodybuilding photographers?

RA: Hmmmm, can’t think of any off hand that I would say shoot female bodybuilders with the same sort of energy and attitude as I have. That's not to say there aren’t any out there, but what I am trying to establish with these ladies is combining different ideas and concepts and there is no-one else out there doing that, which is quite cool!

FMS: I agree! Unlike most of the FBB photographers, you're not approaching the subject from the muscle-worship angle. Me and my readers are not your target market! Could you say something about how your commercial and fashion work has influenced your approach to FBB photography?

RA: I guess in a nutshell I always have found myself fascinated by the mysterious or the misunderstood and want to present and propose interesting, creative, empowering ideas of these beautiful and special breed of women in a different context that makes the viewer take note, and think more about the image.

I believe anything can be introduced and combined, it’s the execution of what you wish to communicate that is key, rather than your everyday shot... it’s boring and also unfortunately stigmatises these women as that’s all they are taken for or could be photographed for.


FMS: And the other way round - has photographing FBBs given you inspiration for your commercial and fashion work?

RA: Yes, certainly FBBs have inspired me to combine what I am passionate about and what I love and introduce it to other industries. It’s really cool how I have been fortunate enough so far to build a broad range of creative contacts in various industries. In fashion, for instance, and they know my work and love to be part of something different. The only trouble is often you'll find clothes from designers not fitting these women, ha-ha! But you just improvise with fabrics and textures and make it POP!

FMS: How do you think that the fact you are a woman (and the majority of FBB photographers are men) impact on your approach?

RA: I actually really like that I am a woman photographing female bodybuilders because there isn’t any other woman (or man) in the industry that is doing what I am doing. Fortunately, all the ladies I have worked with have enjoyed working with me and have been comfortable with me, which is important because the last thing I would ever want is someone feeling awkward on my shoots, especially if it’s fine art nude work, which I have shot.

FMS: Does the fact that you yourself train make a difference do you think?

RA: I believe training makes a difference because you have more of an aesthetic eye for things, but also I know some talented photographers who are incredible and they don’t have to train to see how to light a body well! But you certainly have to have this euphoric taste and ‘turn on’ to photograph bodybuilders and look at them as sculptures. And I don’t mean ‘turn on’ in a vulgar manner but you know what I mean, get the adrenaline and passion inside going so that you just can’t help but get excited about the subject matter.

FMS: I've written a little bit on the blog about how muscular women should be used more often in fashion photography and mainstream advertising. I'm guessing you'd agree, but do you see your fashion and commercial work as being separate to your work with female bodybuilders?

RA: Hmm… yes and no. Fashion is what it is, so unless I have a commission I will try to combine some element of fashion in my own projects with FBBs. Hey, FBBs love fashion too! ;-)

FMS: Would you like to find a way to combine the two? Is that what you're aiming for ultimately?

RA: I am mainly a commercial sports photographer. I like to create a story, a journey into the work, and combine mixed genres of visual WOWs that I love to put my spin on and create my own, and make it my own. FBB is my personal work and in it I can encompass many themes and hopefully inspire others and opportunities to come my way.

FMS: Have you ever suggested using a muscular (or athletic) woman to a client? If so, what was the reaction?

RA: ALWAYS! And you know what? I always get a positive response. One agency I am waiting on to contact me in the near future when they start working on print work again. So fingers crossed!

FMS: Which of your images would you choose for your own retrospective? Which are your favourites and (if different) the ones you are proudest of?

RA: I have two. My series of Rene - I was invited to Dublin for a solo artist exhibition on my work, and recently being commissioned by Bompas and Parr - working with Mercedes on my ‘The Four Horsemen of the Oesophagus’ that was such a brilliant shoot and opening night experience at Selfridges in London.

imagebam.com


FMS: Who's been (so far) your favourite FBB subject?

RA: Oh blimey, that is a tough one. I have really enjoyed working with many ladies. Lisa Cross was cool to work with! She is probably one of our best UK FBB representative s/ athletes and I hope she achieves all that she wants for her career in bodybuilding. I’ve met Brigita Brezovac, Katka Kyptova, Nicole Ball, and Sheila Bleck and all the ladies have been amazing to meet and get to know! I’ve been fortunate to have built a bond of friendship with the ladies, I realise how much it means to me for these ladies to TRUST me. Trust my work and have faith in my work, because I have high standards, I give my all to people and it’s wonderful to have people believe in me and my work and my focus on making the sport grow.

FMS: And if you could do a shoot with any FBB in the world, who would you like to shoot, and how?

RA: Man that’s hard! Hmmm... I loved Andrulla Blanchette, and Lenda Murray I just think is absolutely beautiful. I would like to create iconic references of these women. I’m keeping that short and sweet as that’s just given me an idea, ha-ha!

FMS: Finally, do you have any future projects you'd like to tell us about?

RA: I am bringing out a magazine. It is completely unique – you’re reading this thinking ‘yep, heard this before!’ But! All I ask is when it is launched, which is late April this year, that it is a platform for women, the female ‘athlete’ and the female bodybuilder, competition coverage, you name it, it’ll be in! I am launching this magazine with the intention of promoting the sport - as we all know there is a complete lack of promotion - and generate finances from readership, sponsors, and donations from fans to grow the magazine and put on prize money for amateurs and professionals. The big goal for this would be to generate enough income so that I can put on a show. In addition, I have a big shoot end of March that will be a calendar for 2014 and will be available to pre-order. Don’t let this sport die, keep the faith! And support me on this massive journey!

I’d like to leave your readers with this, ‘I do not compete, I create. Fear is just an illusion. Always do what you love, your greatest strength will bring you wealth.’

Dream it - achieve it!


PS. The online magazine that Rebecca mentions will be called www.ironwomenmagazine.co.uk. She had hoped to have it online earlier this year, but for various reasons its launch has had to be put back. FMS looks forward to bringing its readers news of the imminent release of the magazine as soon as Rebecca gives us the nod. Meanwhile, if you would like to get involved in the funding of the magazine, Rebecca can be contacted via her website.

No comments:

Post a Comment