Wednesday 5 March 2014

FBBUK@ the Arnold Amateur

It's a sad fact that this year's Arnold Classic in Ohio, which took place last weekend, was a far less interesting event for female muscle fans that it previously had been. Gone the Ms International. No female bodybuilding at all. No pro physique. Not even pro figure. "Rock star bikini" and pole-dancing contests, however, were introduced.

Nevertheless, there was a women's physique class in the Arnold Amateur. And for us British fans, there were three VERY good reasons to be interested in that.

Rosanna Harte was flying the flag for the second year in a row at the Arnold Amateur. Last time out she finished 3rd in bodybuilding and this year she went one better in the short physique class, taking the runners-up spot. Go Rosanna!

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

Rosanna's standout feature (for me anyway) is her back, from which her whole physique seems to take its proportions. I've said here before that there's something about Rosanna that reminds me of the female bodybuilders I first saw as a teenager. The conditioning, the symmetry and shape. Her eye make-up! She has a wonderfully aesthetic physique is, I guess, what I am trying to articulate. Beautifully balanced.

imagebam.com imagebam.com

She looked in great shape before the contest, and in a way I'm disappointed for her that she didn't get a little more favour from the judges and had come home as the UK's newest pro. Not that she sounds like she needs cheering up, tweeting before the evening show, Never been this happy with my physique, down to the judges now.

imagebam.com imagebam.com

FMS eagerly awaits footage of her evening routine. Rosanna's posing, with its elements of dance - from street to ballet - and athleticism, is always a treat.

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com

Again, congratulations Rosie!

And the other two reasons were making their US debuts. Ria Ward joined Rosanna in the short physique class, and Hayley Brylewski, who finished runner-up to Ria at the UKBFF British Championships, represented Britain in tall physique.

imagebam.com imagebam.com

Neither of them finished top 5, but both of them seemed to have had an absolute blast. From surreptitiously snapping Jay Cutler in a chair (Hayley) to meeting her number number one inspiration (Ria) to buying new leggings (Hayley again), both Ria's and Hayley's Facebook pages tell of two ladies absolutely lovin' it.

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

Hayley: Had an amazing time at the Arnold Classic. Got to meet some great people and athletes, all UK team, lots of different photo shoots with top photographers - can't wait to see some pics - hanging with all the pros seeing them at their best, being on a world class stage can't wait to go back harder, tighter and better next year.

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com

And that's funny because "harder, tighter and better" were the exact words I was going to use to describe Hayley at the UKBFF and this show even more. We think Hayley is, right now, the rising star of British female muscle.

Ria: Great news tonight, and a big relief to me... Feedback from the judges, I didn't place as I was not conditioned enough not that I wasn't big enough Phewww... that was me panicking about my size. I have been told I am 100% physique not body fitness sooo I'm happy with that - my condition I can work on!!

imagebam.com imagebam.com
imagebam.com imagebam.com

And just like Hayley promised to be back "harder, tighter and better", Ria finishes her message with a promise for the future. I will bring it next time that's for sure. Yeah!

But wait, something was conspiring to keep our goddesses away from Britain. Hayley, thankfully, is back now (even if her luggage is still on its way), but Ria they're still holding onto. Flight canceled as there is a storm on the way to Philadelphia and that was where our connecting flight is... So another night in Ohio. Some nice food and we're chilling out! Rosanna? Where's she now? Anybody???

imagebam.com imagebam.com imagebam.com

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment