Wednesday 25 November 2015

I'm Your Fan: Cristina @IFBB Worlds

imagebam.com

Time for another of those Can you guess how the judges went? games. Left to right, Brazilians Marjorie Beck (#90) and Daniely Castilho (#94), and #99 Spain's FMS heart-throb Cristina Goy Arellano "relaxed" (above), and comparing front double biceps (below) at the recent IFBB World Fitness Championships in Budapest.

imagebam.com

You can probably guess from the fact that I'm asking the question at all that - not for the first time - Swell's scorecard would have looked a little different on the day to that of the IFBB judges. I saw the pics of the show before I knew the result, and while I've been a fan long enough to know that it's a rare day indeed when the judges call it as I see it, I felt there was a reasonable chance that Cristina had at least got herself another World Championship silver medal to go with the one she earned last year.

imagebam.com imagebam.com

That;s what I'd hoped for, anyway. But 4th is where the judges placed her.

imagebam.com imagebam.com

I tell myself not to get upset when Cristina or any of my other faves don't win. And I've told myself over and over throughout the years that it's pointless to try and second guess the judges - and it's particularly pointless, it seems to me, when it comes to the Physique division these days (as we've seen on FMS passim). And the last thing I want to do is belittle the achievements of the women who finished above her at the contest - Daniely Castilho (#94) won the class and overall titles, Marjorie Beck (#90) was runner-up, and the bronze medal went to Halina Tsitiva of Belarus.

imagebam.com
Cristina, Halina Totiva (3rd) and Todorka Ivanova of Bulgaria, who placed 5th

I wouldn't dream of saying the women who finished above Cristina didn't deserve it. Female muscle marvels, every one of them. But, just like a football fan who's weekend is ruined when his team loses, I simply can't help feeling disappointed when my favourite muscle goddesses don't go home with the first place trophies.

imagebam.com imagebam.com

And Cristina is definitely a favourite. Definitely.

imagebam.com imagebam.com

I doubt I'm the only female muscle fan who feels this way, either in general or about Cristina in particular - in fact I'm sure I'm not. Ye gods, writes one forum poster. This woman is something else. That combo of the Latin complexion with probably the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen on a female bodybuilder, PLUS that physique. She is awesome and she deserves all the attention she's getting in Europe and beyond.

imagebam.com

I couldn't have put it better. Although he has forgotten one thing - that smile. And I have to say I'm particlarly enamoured with that smile of hers when she's pumping the muscle in some video or other and you can see it swelling and she looks down at the muscle and turns those fierce bright eyes direct to camera and (so knowingly) smiles...



For a few minutes, I completely forgot not just the 4th place, but what my name is and where I live, such is her power. And I find I'm a bit more philosophical. The unpredictability of sport being it's abiding attraction and all - that sort of thing. Wouldn't it be boring if the same woman always won? [Yes, it was - ed.]

imagebam.com

But then I come across a clip of Cristina's posing routine at the Worlds. I'm ecstatic! I watch, transfixed... And then the music fades - after barely thirty seconds! I'm getting riled again. Is that all they give the women now? Thirty bloody seconds! At the WORLD championships?! And I get even more apoplectic at the sorry excuse for the round of applause the crowd muster when she's leaving the stage. Sounds like there were about four people there. I really do wonder sometimes why they bother, but I suspect the answer is in those fierce bright eyes and that smile to camera.

imagebam.com

And I'm so glad you do bother, Cristina. Even if I never make it to your shows - "part of the problem" I know, I know - and I'm not the best at sending you messages of encouragement and devotion via your Facebook, your Instagram etc. (I just feel like the guys who do tend to come across as a bit, you know, creepy and all) [I'd be interested to know how you feel this comes across - ed.] so I'm just going to say that the judges might not think you're all that, and the crowd might not think your routine was all that, but there's a legion of us silent ones out there who think you really are all that. All that and something else and more. Your legion of fans.



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment